Sunday, November 4, 2012

Paloma Negra - Chavela Vargas

In keeping with the theme of angry womens this week (I guess) I decided to share one of my personal favorites, Paloma Negra. This song was featured in Frida, one of my all time favorite movies based on one of my all time favorite artists and just generally badass lady. The voice of this song, Chavela Vargas, is an equally awesome woman closely associated with Frida Kahlo who (R.I.P.) passed away this past August. Sad day, but lady was 93...so ya know, it's not like it was unexpected. In any case, she leaves a great legacy with that heartbreaking, powerful voice.

 I had to look up what it actually meant because I don't speak Spanish. You probably don't either, so here's an iffy translation I found somewhere:


I'm tired of crying for nothing
I don't know if I should curse you or pray for you
I'm afraid to look for you and to find you
Where my friends assure me that you go

There are moments when I would prefer to split
and finally pull out the nails of my torment
but my eyes die without the sight of your eyes
and my glowing love continues to await you

You have taken for yourself the party (good times)
Black dove, Black dove, where, where do you go?
Don't play with my honor
if your caresses must be mine, and no one else's

and although I love you like crazy don't return
Black dove you are the bars of a punishment (jail?)
I want to be free to live my life with whom I want
God give me strength, I'm dying from searching for her

and you have taken for yourself the parties (good times)


Source(s):

No comments:

Post a Comment