Friday, October 18, 2019

My First Superpower

When I was a child I used to think I had an ability no one else did. Certainly no one in my immediate proximity. I had the somewhat limited ability to know what would happen in my future, and the future of those around me. All I had to do was think of every most logical scenario for any given situation, and I'd get an approximate idea of the future.

Because of my shitty upbringing, wherein my parents never seemed to think beyond their present circumstances, I thought this was somehow special. Being able to comprehend cause and effect seemed like a superpower. That is literally the only way I could justify why they kept making the same terrible decisions over and over again. They didn't have this special ability.

This all seems rather absurd to me now.

However, the actual realization here is that my superpower was not just self awareness. It was a heightened awareness caused by the instability and chaos my parents inflicted upon me. My superpower was ANXIETY!

Fucking bullshit superpower if you ask me.

No comments:

Post a Comment