Sunday, February 10, 2013

The Devil and the Details

Jehovah's Witness Lady: Here's a Watchtower. Have you ever wondered where the Devil came from?
Me: Nope. Byeeee.

I'm keeping things short with her from now on because:
a.) I'm at work and should probably not be openly hostile to the customers
b.) It would take too long to have this conversation, I mean, I gots shits to do and
c.) Conversing would make no noticeable difference, in the end.

As I have previously mentioned, I'm not fond of this lady. Also, I don't like religion. I especially don't like it when other people try to push their religion on me. Hate is a strong word...but is it the wrong word? I mean, seriously, I feel bad that trees were murdered only to have their remains used for such an idiotic publication as The Watchtower. Which, incidentally, talks to it's followers like even it knows they are morons.


Had I given her a response, it would be more philosophical than religious. Because, no, I've never had time to wonder where the Devil came from, I was raised in a church. I was taught, like most Christians probably are, that the Devil (or Satan) was an angel named Lucifer who thought God was stupid for loving humans more than angels. So he rebelled, was cast from Heaven, and became the ruler of Hell, and basically the root of all evil. Origin story, BAM!


Currently, I have no religious inclination nor any use for religion. The Devil, to me, is merely an interesting and somewhat bewildering notion. Like, I can see how people, faced with an endless supply of things that want to eat them might come to feel that "sun is good, dark-time is bad". I can see how maybe they'd come to blame bad weather and a lack of food on an "evil" entity working against them. I can see how the evolution of religion could make sense in that way. And that's kind of interesting. But I fail to see how any Christian with any individual thought can still imagine the Devil as a literal being instead of an abstract concept. Or whatever.

or whatever.

If anything, God is the Devil. In a, ya know, dualistic sense. God totally suffers from a dissociative identity disorder. Except that he has to know that he's also the devil because he contradicts his own benevolent will something like 80million times. So he's probably more like a toddler blaming the spilled cheerios on the dog. I mean, he's omnipotent. If he was going to get all huffy about Lucifer trolling and etc, why wouldn't he just say "Well, fuck that shit" and just not make Lucifer? Or evil? Or humans? Or anything? Unless floods are just the way he bitches.
Don't bother with the Bible, just watch Tara. There's 3 seasons and  less murder.

Anyway, to summarize, the Devil to me is just some bullshit people made up to blame shit on. Instead of facing the fact that maybe shit just happens and it's not necessarily about anyone or anything. I think because the thought of there being nothing giving two shits about them is a scarier concept than the Devil. How fucked up.

No comments:

Post a Comment