Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Deep Dicking Chasing Amy

I was going to write this post forever ago, but got incredibly lazy. But anyway, a while ago I was watching some Kevin Smith "Evening" stuff on YouTube and came across this portion of a night:


And this is what led me to re-watch Chasing Amy (and kindle my fanaticism with the song Joey Lauren Adams sings). It had been a few years since I saw the movie last and I'm not incredibly sure how long it had been since I'd seen it sober, so I'd forgotten some things. I'll give Lela the benefit of the doubt by assuming the last and only time she'd seen it was 4 years prior to this video. Because if she had re-watched it as I did, she would realize she doesn't even have a question there.


Because, to me it least, Chasing Amy isn't even a lesbian movie. I mean, it starts out with Alyssa identifying as a lesbian, but in the end (Spoilers! on a 15 year old movie...) we find that Alyssa is just curious and open to whatever. She was really just misrepresenting herself. As she explains later, it was a process. Which is mostly where I'm at, but I digress.

"I came to this on my own terms...the way the world is, how seldom it is that you meet that one person who just gets you -- it's so rare...to cut one's self off from finding that person, to immediately halve your options by eliminating the possibility of finding that one person within your own gender, that just seems stupid to me. So I didn't. But then you came along. You, the one least likely. I mean, you were a guy...And while I was falling for you, I put a ceiling on that because you were a guy. Until I remembered why I opened the door to women in the first place. To not limit the likelihood of finding that one person who'd complement me so completely. So here we are. I was thorough when I looked for you. And I feel justified lying in your arms 'cause I got here on my own terms and I have no question in someplace I didn't look. For me that makes all the difference." -Alyssa

"All a lesbian needs is a good deep dicking" is not what Kevin Smith was saying at all. If anything, he was telling a story about one lesbian falling in love with a man. One isolated event, that is entirely possible, assuming that person was open to that possibility. Which I believe Alyssa was, obviously. Almost anecdotal, I would say. This movie is about sexual fluidity. Love in a gender-free form. Or at least that's what I took away from it. But what do I know? Maybe the message was offensive. Some people will take offense to anything, even possibly the most interesting love story I've seen yet.



Between the dick and fart jokes, there is wisdom to be had. Love me some Kevin Smith.

No comments:

Post a Comment